21 August, 2013

The Purgatorio event

Oh dear, look what you're in for if you're
avaricious and prodigal on earth.
"Purgatorio: Australia Today" is one event being held in conjunction with the Melbourne Writers Festival that's really unusual. Not just because it's readings, rather than panels, so it's actual literature, not talking-about-literature, for a change. But it's being held away from the usual Fed Square venues in St Michael's on Collins Street, for the purposes of appropriate churchiness in which to celebrate Dante's epic.

Look at the array of authors on offer at this event. What will they bring us? I can only tell you that my contributions is about competitive stairclimbing and supermodels—the others will be as new to me as they are to you.

To find out more ahead of time, you can go over to Radio National, where Books and Arts Daily today talked to Ellen Koshland, the organiser of this wonderful event, and Maria Tumarkin and Sam Wagan Watson, two of the other contributors.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Christina said...

Hi Ms. Lanagan! My name is Christina and I go to Fredericksburg Academy. All the students in our Freshman English class read your short story "Singing My Sister Down." I really admired the way you set the plot up and how you ended the story as a "no resolution." I also really liked how you used indirect characterization through dialogue to establish the characters in the beginning of the story. I was confused about a few things in the story because right from the beginning it jumps into the action of the story and there isn't any background information given about the setting or the characters. Where exactly is the setting? What is the time period of the setting? What is narrating character's personality like? I would really appreciate if you could answer my questions. Thank you so much!

18 September, 2013 01:49  
Anonymous Meagan said...

Hello, Ms. Lanagan! I'm Meagan, a freshman attending Fredericksburg Academy. My English class was assigned to read your story "Signing My Sister Down.” I found the story rather enjoyable. I liked how you were able to establish the plot without directly saying it, instead you used clues here and there to put together the story. I have some questions about the story, though. For starters, when did the story take place and where? A lot of times I questioned the place and time the event was taking place. Next, what did Ikky do to deserve the punishment? I couldn’t find a clear understanding to why everything was happening. Finally, how old was the narrator? I could tell that he was young, but not so young that he didn’t understand what was happening to his sister. You’re a very good writer, thank you.

18 September, 2013 02:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Lanagan, my name is Peter and I am a freshman at Fredericksburg Academy. I really enjoyed reading your short story, "Singing My Sister Down". I liked this story because it didn't consist of the traditional plot structure and because it didn't have the traditional exposition that I am so used to seeing. I do have some questions that I hope you can answer. How old exactly is the narrator who is telling the story? What did Ikky do exactly that made her have this kind of punishment? Thank you for your time, and I hope you could respond to these answers.

18 September, 2013 21:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home